Thursday, December 5, 2013

A miracle happened! A blonde-haired girl walked by

This week was awesome!! 

Some funny things from this week:
Me on my street!
One morning I was doing my sprints in the morning up the hill by my apartment. At the bottom of the hill I said hi to a couple girls walking by in pajama pants...I sprinted up the hill and looked back. One of the girls was sprinting up behind me and giggling. It was cute. I walked back down the hill with her giggling. So funny.

The other night we got let into a ladies' house (woo! doesn't happen much!) but I started talking and she quickly turned to Sister King and said, "She doesn't speak well." I told her she was right! She was very blunt and funny.

We got fed twice this week. I am getting better at eating the food...mom, you would be impressed. The other day I ate mussels and shrimp and various sea food in a soup...Last night was so hard! We had 떡복기 (rice cakes, fish cakes, egg, and unidentified meat) and they served me a lot. Toward the end I thought I was going to explode, but it's rude to leave food so I got it down. I wasn't a big fan of the fish cakes, but I did it!!

This week we got a new investigator!! Yay! Her name is 이지영 (ee-jee-young). She is in her 40s and super cute! She had seen missionaries before and always said no, but this time something made her say yes. She's really curious. I'm excited to keep teaching her. This week I was really nervous for a lesson because I taught a part I don't have experience teaching. But after lots of praying I did it! Really slowly, but I did it! And she understood me haha. 

Our makeshift Thanksgiving meal hahaI sat next to an older man on the bus last Monday and started talking to him. He was eyeing my Book of Mormon, so I started talking to him about it. He said he knew about it and is an Elder for another church. He said he hates the book. I asked him if he had read it and he said no. I bore my testimony that it is a good book that has blessed my life. It was a cool experience. He was smiling as he got off the bus (probably because my Korean is bad, but I'll take it haha)!

Her first Thanksgiving! She's eating Turkey with chopsticks--HA!We did a district survey this week (we go into the middle of the big downtown shopping center and advertise free English and get people's numbers on surveys) and it was so fun! You just have to be super bold and walk with people as they pass by. A miracle happened! A blonde-haired girl walked by and I stopped her. Turns out she's from Nebraska, has a good friend who is a member of the church and wants to learn more about the church! I'm so excited! 


I keep getting frustrated at my inability to speak Korean, but I learned a lot about patience and I'm learning everyday.

I really like Romans 5:3-5--read it! 
As we go through hard things, we develop in patience and become better people. 
I wonder sometimes why I got sent to Korea where I can't speak! Why wouldn't I go somewhere English speaking? But I read a cool talk this week: "As Many as I Love I Rebuke and Chasten"--D. Todd Christofferson May 2011.

He tells the story of a currant bush that was cut down by a gardener because it wasn't growing fruit... 

"Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. I didn't intend for you to be a fruit tree or a shade tree. I want you to be a currant bush, and someday, little currant bush, when you are laden with much fruit, you are going to say, "Thank you Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down.'"

It snowed this week!! :) Pretty, huh?"Thank  you, Mr. Gardener, for cutting me down, for loving me enough to hurt me."

I know that I'm in Korea for a reason. The Lord knows who He needs me to be. I know that as I'm struggling to learn Korean, I'm becoming a better person. I'm becoming who He needs me to be. 
I know that the God has a plan for each of us. He loves us all. I know it! 

Love you all! Have a wonderful week!!

Sister Naatjes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment