Sunday, March 16, 2014

rain is "비," but I wrote "피"

Wow, so much happened this week!

Funnies:

I am still stared out everywhere I go. As I was crossing the street this week I heard a little voice say, "이상한 사람!" ("weird person"). I turned to see a little boy pointing at me and his mom laughing haha. 
Today a grandma on the street told me I must be "miss korea," and then corrected herself and said, "miss universe" in her cute, korean accent haha.

This week we went to visit an elderly couple who lives in the country and they weren't home, so I wrote them a note. I meant to say, "even though it rained, I hope you had a great day!" rain is "비," but I wrote "피".... which means something totally different, but they're pronounced really similar. "피" means blood. I told the grandma that even though blood came, I hope her day was good...oops! haha. 

Yesterday we visited a different grandma (there are a lot of grandmas in our ward) and did service for her. There was a box of little dried fish and shrimp. She had us pull the heads off of the fish and then pull the blackish-brownish guts out of the middle of them and pull the legs and tails off of the shrimp haha. Then she fed us raw radish she had just picked from her little garden. 

This week was full of miracles and disappointments. 

One of my favorite people in the whole world told us she doesn't want to meet anymore and it crushed me, but God blessed us with lots of miracles!

This week when we went to teach 임지용b (our 11-year-old investigator), and out of a miracle, his inactive dad was there. We sang "I am a Child of God" together before we started teaching his son and he cried. He came back to church this week for the first time in years and has a goal to come back with his son. This man who had fallen so far away is deciding to change. It's a miracle! 

The Stake President here challenged all the missionaries to make a list of members in the ward then pray as a companionship about who is ready to share the gospel with their friends/give a referral to us. Sister 안 and I applied the stake president's counsel and prayed. Two names came to my mind. We set up a lunch appointment with one of the people, Bishop's daughter and it was a success. 최은영s had already been talking to a friend about the gospel and was hoping to work together with the missionaries. It was revelation. God really does answer prayers--how cool! I learned the importance of listening to our leaders and having faith in their counsel. We are excited to teach her friend. 

We got a new investigator who was a 소개 (referral) from a member. She is great and seems to have a very open heart and mind. We're so excited to teach her more. 

This week we ran into several people on the bus and on the street who were excited to see me because I had talked to them before already. It showed me the importance of talking to everyone. Even if people aren't initially interested in the gospel, you never know when they will be later. It's important to plant seeds. 

This week I really studied a lot about how to improve myself and become more like Christ. Something that really stood out to me was Elder Holland's talk, "The First Great Commandment." Elder Holland's interpretation of Christ's conversation with Peter in John 21:

"...What I need, Peter, are disciples—and I need them forever. I need someone to feed my sheep and save my lambs. I need someone to preach my gospel and defend my faith. I need someone who loves me, truly, truly loves me, and loves what our Father in Heaven has commissioned me to do. Ours is not a feeble message. It is not a fleeting task. It is not hapless; it is not hopeless; it is not to be consigned to the ash heap of history. It is the work of Almighty God, and it is to change the world. So, Peter, for the second and presumably the last time, I am asking you to leave all this and to go teach and testify, labor and serve loyally until the day in which they will do to you exactly what they did to me.”

Christ wants us, like Peter, to "leave all this" and truly love Him. 

Christ promises in Matthew 10:39

"He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it"

As we all lose ourselves in the service of others, we find our true selves. Our divine natures. I sure have a long way to go, but I'm excited to keep trying my best to lose myself and become more like Him. I love the Lord and I'm grateful to be a missionary in Korea, even when it's hard. 

Have an incredible week! 

Sister Naatjes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment