Sunday, October 13, 2013

Hello!! (Week 7)

Yesterday we got our real Korean name tags and today we get our travel plans--crazy! I will be in Korea in a week and a half. I am extremely nervous, but really excited! Naatjes doesn't quite work in Korean, so on my name tag it says, "nah-chae-suh chah-mae" (except in Korean characters) :) 

Some funny stories from the week:
There are a lot of words in Korean that sound similar and I get mixed up a lot...I said some interesting things. The words for candy and Satan are very similar. Candy=sah-tahng. Satan=Sah-tahn. I almost told my companion not to eat Satan. Ha! 
In a lesson with chwae-song-geen we talked about prophets and apostles. On the wall there was and old picture of the prophets and apostles when President Hinckley was still alive. I tried to tell chwae-song-geen that president Hinckley died, but I instead told him that I killed President Hinckley--Yikes! He said, "Naatjes Chah-mae-nim??" and kind of started freaking out haha.

General Conference was AMAZING. I learned from each and every talk. I received answers and guidance from Heavenly Father. I know that we have a prophet on the earth today and I know that God still speaks to His children. He speaks to His prophet, Thomas S. Monson. He speaks to us personally. How amazing! 

A couple things that stood out to me:


Wherever we are and in whatever we are doing, lift others. Make others happy. In every moment, even in the hard ones we can strengthen others around us.




So many great talks!!

On Wednesday, my companions and I got selected to demonstrate "How to begin teaching" in front of a big group of brand new missionaries. We taught two investigators while the new missionaries all watched. I was super nervous, but it ended up being a really cool experience. The investigators are people who use their real stories and volunteer to come have missionaries teach them each Wednesday. We taught a man named George who is in amputee. He was very rough and stern, so I was super nervous, but I learned so much through listening to him. I tried to bear a short testimony with him and he quickly cut me off and said, "Aren't you here to help me? Aren't you going to ask me.....?" I am being humbled each day as I learn more and more that it is not me doing the real teaching--it is Heavenly Father teaching His children through the spirit. If I want to truly help the people I teach I need to listen and let the spirit speak through me.
We got our Korean name tags!!! Woooo!

I love the gospel. I know that God loves me. I know that he is strengthening me. It is a miracle that I am able to teach in Korean. In lessons, I convey what I need to say to the people I teach--in Korean! Without God, I could not do this. I know where I came from. I know my purpose. I know where I'm going. I know that we have a loving Heavenly Father who wants us to be happy. We have a Savior with His arms outstretched waiting for us to turn to him. I'm going to go share this with the world! I'm so lucky!

I am growing to love the Book of Mormon more and more. Through it I receive answers, peace, and guidance. Read the Book of Mormon everyday and your life will be so blessed. If you've never read it, start! It will bring you closer to Christ! 

Love you all,

Sister Naatjes

No comments:

Post a Comment